Monday, September 16, 2013

Old Theatre post



The assignment says to choose a single theatre city (NY, Chicago, London), from 1700’s to present. I, like an idiot, missed the “1700” part and went straight to researching old theatres in Chicago (because I love it there). Well after researching about the Bank of America Theatre in Chicago (made in the early 1900’s) I saw the 1700’s part. And then I realized…wait Chicago is an example, but I can’t find anything for the city in the 1700’s. DUH it wasn’t even a city then! The constitution wasn’t even made until 1787, and the city of Chicago itself wasn’t founded until the 1830s. I’m going to post about the theatre I researched, but if it’s a big deal I can do another if I have too.

The Bank of America Theatre may not be the oldest theatre in the U.S. but it has had quiet a few name changes since its opening in 1906. In 1906 it was known as the Majestic Theatre and was primarily used for vaudeville acts (basically a bunch of different acts). It did well until it closed during the Great Depression in 1932. The Theatre was designed to bring in a more upper-class audience. 



It also has two levels that were initially intended to segregate the audience so the patrons on the bottom don’t have to see the ones on the balcony. (Honestly, I don't think I would care back in the day. I think I would rather sit on the upper part anyway, but that's just my opinion.)

In 1945 it was bought by the Shubert organization and remodeled/renamed as the Sam Shubert Theatre.   


It was sold in 1991 to the Nederlander organization and then was renamed to the LaSalle Bank Theatre. The paint chips of the building were analyzed, so the paint can match the original color scheme. The same goes for most of the original fixtures and mosaic flooring in the lobby.

When it went under a $40 million restoration in 2005, most of its features and color scheme were kept the same. Apparently a richly decorated arch was uncovered during the restoration.
In 2008 it was changed to Bank of America Theatre.



Technologically speaking, during these time periods, one can assume that the stage and lighting effects evolved during these time periods. I can’t seem to find a lot on how technology was incorporated in the theatre, but one can assume that stuff was definitely changed. It is primarily used for Broadway performances, so obviously they have changed the lighting effects and stage backgrounds as opposed to the stuff used in the vaudeville acts in the early 1900’s. They also most likely put in air conditioning (even though the Auditorium Building of Roosevelt University beat them to it). Also, Elevators would put in! Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment